While most of the world is focused on the royal wedding today, I’m quietly celebrating my 37th birthday. Rather than having a huge party, I’m keeping it low-key. Due to the fact that Ramadan has just started, parties are frowned upon, at least ones that include loud music and any alcohol. Despite the fact that it doesn’t really feel like my birthday, I am looking forward to spending the weekend in Puncak at a nature retreat and spa about an hour outside of Jakarta with Miriam and Michelle. The plan is to go for a walk, lounge by the pool, read, get massages, and eat yummy food. Sounds pretty good to me!
It’s pretty crazy to think that I’ve celebrated my birthday in a different country the past four years! This year it’s Indonesia, last year was Thailand, before that was Albania, and before that was China. Hopefully I’ll be in Indonesia for the next few! As per a tradition I started a couple of years ago (35 things and 36 things), I like to reflect on things that make me happy on my birthday. In random order, here are 37 things that make me happy.
- Country music…lately I’ve been listening to it, which is out of the ordinary for me, but I’m loving it!
- Taking my niece Randi and nephew Logan on dates
- Bagel sandwiches, toasted with garlic cream cheese, loads of veggies, white cheddar, and a touch of mustard…mmm
- Getting lost in a good book
- Completing my to-do list, especially when I didn’t think I would
- The look on their face when I give the perfect gift
- Mango sticky rice…I had a bunch last weekend in Thailand, and it did not disappoint!
- No-agenda days
- Ice-cold coconut water
- Traveling to new places and filling my passport with stamps and visas
- Revisiting favorite destinations, stopping by the spots I remember and finding new places to love
- Making people laugh
- Sunny Shanghai weekends…man, do I miss that place! (Lucky for me I’m visiting again next month!)
- Spending time with family and friends
- Solving a problem
- A clean, organized home or office
- Smoothie bowls…Alchemy in Ubud has the best ones, hands down!
- Getting to see my former students…last week in Thailand warmed my heart so much when I got to love on my little babes!
- A nice-smelling candle
- Go-Massages…or massages in general
- Feeling strong
- Green plants around my home
- Teaching others
- Nice, colorful pens
- Making a difference in the work I do
- Pavlova…can’t wait to eat this a bunch in NZ this summer!
- FaceTime dates
- Participating in the Slice of Life Challenge each year
- Iced sweet tea
- Watching a movie in the theatre with a big bag of hot, buttered popcorn
- My new home…I’ve made it my own oasis, and I love it!
- Photography…getting that perfect shot is the best!
- Saturday mornings, when I get to do whatever I want…sleep later than normal, FaceTime with friends, catch up on my shows, drink hot English Breakfast Tea, and make breakfast
- Comfy leggings to travel in are a must-have!
- Buying a new, quirky pair of glasses
- Reconnecting with a friend…getting to catch up with Josh last weekend did my soul some good 🙂
- Friends who become your family
Happiest of days to you Jennifer! It sounds like a perfect way to celebrate your day. It’s the small things that keep us happy on a day-to-day basis. Keep listing those small bits of life. 🙂
Happy birthday dear Jenn from our little mountain top in Oregon… Still hoping Lauren will drag you here one day. You are an amazing adventuring woman and I love reading your very delightful writing. Love Sandy. PS I’ll second for country music… Some of that is pretty darn good —Dolly Parton’s blue smoke is terrific andmy latest heartThrob Is Keith urban- Oh, and as for number four on your list if you have not read A gentleman in Moscow, my Towles, do yourself a favor.
Sent from my iPhone